Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hunting Down That Perfect Template

Perusing the web for a half hour, I'm already getting the feeling that I'm going to have to design my own header eventually, as I'm not finding exactly what I want when it comes to my subject: how to make better home movies.

So here's what I've found so far that's at least in the ballpark:

DIRECTOR

Nice little director's chair in the corner, and the background works, but I'd want to change that light blue stripe with the tabs and go with something a little less jarring.

SPOTLIGHT

I like the filmstrip and red curtain touches, but I'd like to expand that center column a bit more - there's a bit too much empty space on the sides that could be better utilized. I'd also want to change and resize the title, as this current one's a bit on the meek side. On the flip side, the header's a bit cluttered with things that aren't entirely on topic.

MOVIE THEATER

I'm only showing you this one for the cool filmstrip column on the right. I'd love to use that in my finished product. As for the rest of this template... well, I'd rather stick with dark colors. Plus, that header's not working for me - that scary cowboy face has to go.

MOVIE TIMES

This one's got potential for showing video clips, which I'll very likely be doing with the pro blog. After seeing some of the more interesting headers, this one's very plain, so I'll have to spiff it up a bit.

NEWSSCOPE

I'm really liking the layout of this one - the video boxes could work nicely with the topics I'd be covering.

1 comment:

  1. Director - Since you would be designing your own header, the wood floor background doesn't click with movies. Am I not getting something?

    Spotlight is busy and cheesy I think, for your topic. Depends on who you want. Home videographers or serious "ness" like me. Removing that header in my mind, I don't care for the layout, because if it relates to techniques, I need to pay attention to what you are saying and not be entertained. I would think your site if informational, and this is grungy distraction.

    Movie Theater: This template is too hard to edit, and it is too graphical for anything informational. I think it need to have another column for you. Informational sites provide a lot of info and need organization. This is mostly for blogging as in "real blogging" daily log.

    Movie times looks easy to edit. You can insert your idea of your theme rather than some theme telling you what your theme is. Right? You may want to swap the blue for something warmer, though.

    Newscope is very nice and organized. You could put info all over here and organize away. It is gray, though. It is monotonous. I do like the big fat tabs at the top, and if you want to go with it, you can work on the color the theme.

    So, Newscope and Movie Times are my choices.

    ReplyDelete